Mostl courts in New York City , including Supreme Court of the State of New York and
Civil Court of the State of New York provide free notary public services, if the documents
to be notarized are part of a legal action.
Kings County Supreme Court Legal Referrals and Services.

Brooklyn Bar Association                                   718-624-0675

Volunteer Lawyers Project                                 718-624-3894

Battered Women's Helpline                              718-624-7700

SHIELD Project                                                   212-626-7383
Legal Information Line                                            

New York Legal Assistance Group                  212-750-0800

Legal Referral Service                                        212-626-7373

New York Lawyers Association                         212-382-6612

Sanctuary for Families                                        212-349-6009
Legal representation for victims of domestic violence

South Brooklyn Legal Services                         718-237-5563
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00 Noon-01:00P.M.

Legal Aid Society                                                 718-422-2838
Second and fourth Wednesday of every month

Brooklyn Legal Services                                     718-487-1300

Family Law Cases involving HIV/AIDS
Domestic Violence                                              718-487-4073             

Special Need Information & Referral Servs.  800-522-4369

Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities      212-788-2830

Brooklyn Center for the Independent               718-998-3000
and the Disabled

Lighthouse International for the Blind             800-829-0500
111 East 59th Street
New York, NY

Safe Horizon                                                         800-621-4673
NYC Domestic Violence Hotline

Office for the Self Represented                        347-296-1740
Queens, NY Courts

Supreme  Court -Queens Supreme Court - Criminal
125-01 Queens Boulevard
Kew Gardens 11415
(718) 520-3469

Criminal Term
25-10 Court Sq.,
Long Island City 11101
(718) 520-3934

Criminal Term
88-11 Sutphin Blvd.,
Jamaica 11435
(718) 520-3777

Criminal Term
88-11 Sutphin Blvd.,
Jamaica 11435
(718) 520-3713
County & Court Clerk: Gloria D'amico
(718) 520-3136

Surrogates  Court State of New York
88-11 Sutphin Blvd.,
Jamaica 11435
(718) 520-33132
Surrogate: Robert L. Nahman
Chief & Court Clerk: Alicemarie E. Rice
(718) 520-3110

Civil Court of the City of New York, County of Queens
89-17 Sutphin Blvd.,
Jamaica 11435
(718) 262-7100
Admin. Judge: NYC: (212) 374-8082
Clerk: Thomas Touhey
(718) 262- 7300

Criminal Court
125-01 Queens Blvd.,
Kew Gardens 11415
(718) 520-3855;
Fax: (718) 520-4712
Supervising Judge: Seymour Rotker
(718) 520-4712
Borough Chief Clerk: Lawrence DiGioia
(718) 520-38553

Family  Court State of New York -County of Queens
89-14 Parsons Blvd.,
Jamaica 11432
(718) 520-3985
Supervising Judge: Mary Ellen Fitzmaurice
(718) 520-3985
Clerk: John P. Cairns
(718) 520-3991, 94
Requirements for
Service of Process

In order to have your court papers served,  you must follow
certain rules:

The person who serves the  summons, complaint or
petition or other legal document  must be 18 years or older
and he/she must not be a person listed in the court papers
as a defendant or a plaintiff  (A party).

Any person of suitable age and discretion can serve court
papers but he/she cannot serve over five cases per year. If
you serve more than five cases per year you must obtain a
process server license from the corresponding authority. If
serving court papers in New York City it is mandatory to
possess a license from the Department of Consumers

It May Be Better to Hire a Licensed Process Server

You case could be dismissed or delayed (adjourned) if
improper service of process is effected. Failure to follow
rules may occur if you send your friend or sister to deliver
your papers because she/he may not be aware of the
procedures, the deadlines and rules for process serving in
Nassau County, Kings County, Queens County and Suffolk
County. Indeed there are attorneys who have lost cases
because of poor process service (Doing the job themselves
or failing to follow the rules or misrepresenting facts)

All New York Professional Process Servers Must:

1- Have a current licensed from the  New York City
Department of Consumers Affairs. Never hire a process
server in New  York City if  he cannot produce a license.

2- Have knowledge of the process serving laws, procedures
and the rules for serving process in New York

3- Keep detailed records of all process service activities
(Forms to register information about recipients of process:
Description, time, place, etc)
Have access to a computerized system that  enables
production of forms, records and affidavits of service to
adapt to each individual case, court, and         

4-Know the geographical area covered

5-Provide some type of contract (in writing or orally) as to
how much service will cost and when service will take
place, with assurances that the client is dealing with a
licensed process server.
Follow TakeHimToCourt on Twitter
More Legal Resources
for New York Litigants.
Process Servers for New York City:
Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx.
Tel.: 718-277-2968             Fax: 347-295-0244
Tel.: 718-345-0244
Home-Get NY Process Service Site Map of About New York Process Service Contact a NY Process Server
Step 1-Request Process Servicesend court papers (Step 3)pay for process service (Step 2)Request Free Quote for Process ServiceContact a NY Process Server
CHAPTER 73, §1501

Assault on Process Servers

Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs, resists, or opposes
any officer of the United States, or other person duly authorized,
in serving, or attempting to serve or execute, any legal or judicial
writ or process of any court of the United States, or United States
magistrate judge; or  whoever assaults, beats, or wounds any
officer or other person duly authorized, knowing him to be such
officer, or other person so duly authorized, in serving or executing
any such writ, rule, order, process, warrant, or other legal or
judicial writ or process, shall, except as otherwise provided by
law, be fined not more than $300.00 or imprisoned not more than
one year, or both.